I. Pre-admission

Yes. NPU is authorized under federal law to enroll nonimmigrant international (F-1) students. To apply for admission, an international applicant should follow the ​​application ​requirements.

IEP classes are not offered to nonimmigrant international (F-1) students at this time.

Please view the Tuition page for information on program costs.

Please view the Health Insurance page form more information on student health insurance requirements.

A limited number of on-campus jobs are available each trimester in the areas of facilities management, administration, and instructional assistance. These part-time positions are open to well-qualified students of NPU on an "as needed" basis.

Yes. NPU provides New Student Orientation (NSO) to help student orient themselves to their new environment. The focus of the program is on expectations, cultural awareness, rules and laws. NSO hopes to plant the seed toward career success. The program will also introduce the students to the facilities and resources that will help optimize their learning experience. Administrative staff and student volunteers will be available to guide and answer questions.

​The NPU tuition scholarships program was established to honor meritorious and multifaceted students. NPU offers the chance to win a tuition scholarship for new applicants, current students, and alumni. Please view the scholarship page for detailed information on our scholarships.

The number of credits transferred is based on the ​transfer of credit policy as listed on NPU catalog. In general, for undergraduate program, the total credits transferred from other institutions are limited to 75 trimester units. For graduate programs, no more than 7 units of qualified graduate-level course credits may be transferred.

II. Admission

You may check the status of your application on your NPU Applicant portal. You will also receive system generated messages on your portal regarding your application status.

If you are accepted to NPU, you may request to change your program upon reporting to NPU.

III. Post Admission

Congratulations! All admitted students are required to confirm their intent to report at NPU. The confirmation is to ensure your admission to NPU. If you do not confirm, your admission is NOT guaranteed and you may not be able to enroll at the time of your reporting date. You must submit your intent to report request through your portal.

You need to contact your local U.S. embassy to schedule an appointment for a visa interview. The information for the U.S. embassy can be found at http://usembassy.state.gov/. You also need to make a SEVIS I-901 payment before you attend the visa interview.

In 1996, Congress passed legislation that required the Immigration Service to create an electronic data collection system to maintain and manage information on international students and scholars during their stay in the United States. This new computerized system, known as the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), became fully operational in January 2003. Congress mandated that SEVIS be a self-funded program, and on October 27, 2008 the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) began collecting a $200 SEVIS fee from new F-1 Students and J-1 Exchange Visitors. The SEVIS fee is separate from and in addition to the visa application fee.

  • The fee ($200) is paid by new students and exchange visitors who use a Form I-20 or DS-2019 to gain initial F-1 or J-1 status, if that form was issued on or after September 1, 2004.
  • F-1 students who leave the U.S. for five months or more will have to pay the fee before they return to the U.S., unless the absence was on account of participation in an authorized study-abroad program.
  • F-1 students who file an application for reinstatement and have been out of status for more than five months must pay the fee.
  • Individuals who are in the U.S. and wish to change to F-1 student or J-1 exchange visitor status from another nonimmigrant status must pay the SEVIS fee.

The fee can be paid to the DHS (Department of Homeland Security) by mail or online. You must include the Form I-901 with the fee. The Form I-901 can be found at http://www.fmjfee.com. The fee can be paid by the student or by someone else (family member or friend) inside or outside the U.S.

  1. Find the Form I-901 at http://www.fmjfee.com
  2. Complete the form online and supply the necessary Visa, MasterCard or American Express information. Be sure to write your name exactly how it appears on your I-20 form.
  3. Print a copy of the online receipt.
  4. Be sure to make copies of your receipt, and keep it with your other important immigration documents.

If you pay the SEVIS fee by Internet, you can print a receipt directly from your computer at the same time. This computer-generated receipt can be used to prove you have paid the fee at an embassy, consular post, or port-of-entry.

NPU's SEVIS code (or institution code) is SFR214F01556000.

  • Passport: The passport should be valid for at least six months beyond the visa application date. Any expired and/or other current passport(s) should also be presented. A record of previously issued nonimmigrant visa assists the consular officer in making a decision.
  • I-20 Form: The I-20 form (issued by the school in the U.S.) is mandatory for all student visa applicants. Please sign the I-20 form.
  • Evidence of Prior Education: Applicants should bring original transcripts of prior education. Applicants who are not applying immediately after completing their studies should also present evidence of their recent employment. Test score reports from any tests that have been taken, including TOEFL, GMAT, SAT, etc.
  • Financial Assets: Applicants should present full and complete financial documentation to show that they have sufficient funds to cover the cost of their educational fees and living expenses while in the U.S. Fixed deposit accounts, current accounts, savings accounts and/or promissory notes belonging to the applicant or the applicant's financial sponsor may be presented. Original documents should be presented- most Embassies will not need to keep copies.
  • Evidence of Your Residence Outside the U.S.: When applying for a student visa, applicants are applying for a nonimmigrant visa. Before a nonimmigrant visa may be issued, an applicant must establish to the satisfaction of the consular officer that they are not intending immigrants. Applicants can do this by showing evidence of their family, economic and other social ties to a country outside the U.S. No relative, employer, or friend can "guarantee" an applicant's return in place of such evidence. Regardless of who is sponsoring the trip, the consular officer must look at the individual situation and decide whether the applicant meets the requirements on his/her own merits.

Please note that consular officers adjudicate visas on the basis of the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). This law states that "whenever any person makes application for a visa... the burden of proof shall be upon such person to establish that he is eligible." U.S. immigration law requires consular officers to deny an applicant's application if he/she fails to present convincing evidence that he/she is not an intending immigrant.

Every visa official has a list of requirements that he or she looks for a visa application. If they are met, then the visa will be granted. If not, the application will be rejected. It is how these requirements are met that makes a visa decision seem subjective. For instance, the requirement for a student to return to his or her home country after completing studies forces the student to give logical, thought-out evidence. On the other hand, if a student has nothing substantial to show, then the visa will not be issued.

Presenting proper documents alone does not determine the visa approval or denial. The visa officer knows that documents can be easily forged, so they can judge authenticity in less than a minute due to the large number of papers that they process every day. Therefore, presenting the individual case is the most important part in getting the visa. What the student says and how he or she says it matters a lot. Sometimes it can even make up for inadequate documentation. Success in obtaining a visa depends on both the proper documentation and giving a good presentation during the interview.

Key Factors

  • Academic Performance: U.S. universities have high standards and expectations of international students. Therefore, having a good academic record increases a student's chance of obtaining a visa.
  • Financial Capabilities: U.S. universities are more expensive than most of the countries in the world. The U.S. government needs assurances that the student will not drop out of school or take a job illegally. I-20 or DS-2019 forms will list the amount for tuition and other expenses. It is the student's responsibility to provide solid evidence for any scholarships, grants or loans that have been awarded. The student is also required to establish proof of his or her relationship with the sponsor, and to submit documentation of the sponsor's active and passive incomes.
  • Strong Ties to Home Country: Under U.S. law, all applicants for non-immigrant visas are viewed as intending immigrants until they can convince the consulate officer that they are not. It is the student's responsibility to justify the visa application and provide convincing evidence that his or her intention is only to study in the U.S. The law states that the student must demonstrate sufficient economic, family, and social ties to his or her home country to ensure that the stay in the U.S will be temporary.

Positive Points for Applicants

  • The student's proposed education or training would be very useful in the home country.
  • The student is going for a highly valuable research-oriented education, such as drug discovery, or next generation technology.
  • The student will learn international or U.S. business skills.
  • The student will bring cultural or ethnic values and experiences to the U.S.
  • The students has well-planned career goals with definite objectives.
  • The student has chosen a university that will help him or her to attain those career goals.
  • The student gives a good presentation of documents.
  • The student gives simple, straight-forward, clear and concise answers to the visa officer's questions.

Negative Points for Applications

  • The proposed education or training would not appear to be very useful in the home country.
  • The indented education is already available in the home country.
  • The student is not in very good academic standing.
  • The student's intention is most likely to get a job and settle in the U.S.
  • The student is financially incapable of studying in the U.S.
  • The student has a poor presentation of documents.
  • Financial support for education is completely based on university funding.

Visit https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/study.html for more information on all of the details about applying for a visa and ensuring that it is granted.

As an incoming student, you will be required to undergo Tuberculosis (TB) testing prior to arriving on campus. The purpose is to maintain a healthy and safe campus for the NPU community. You will need to visit your primary care physician or a clinician prior to arriving at NPU. Please note there are two (2) forms to fill out.

  • Tuberculosis (TB) Risk Assessment (College_University Student Risk Assessment)​
  • Clinical Tuberculosis Assessment by Health Care Provider (ACHA Adapted TB Screening Form)

​Please view the ​Health Information and Insurance page for detailed information.

NPU's Housing Service provides useful information about housing. You can request for housing services from the Housing page.

The international airports near NPU are:

Mineta San Jose International Airport: SJC

1701 Airport Blvd

San Jose, CA 95110

Oakland International Airport: OAK

1 Airport Drive

Oakland, CA 94621

San Francisco International Airport: SFO

San Francisco, CA 94128

We can arrange airport pick-up upon students' request. Please request the service online on theTransportation page once your flight number is confirmed.

Upon your arrival to the U.S., you are required to report to NPU on the date indicated on your acceptance letter and register as a full-time student. For international students, failure to register in a timely fashion may result in your loss of legal status.

Please log on to your applicant portal to re-apply. You are required to complete your application and pay the requisite application fee. If additional documentation is required, you will receive an email or a message once your online application is reviewed.

A Social Security number (SSN) is used to report your wages to the U.S. government and to determine eligibility for Social Security benefits at a later date. Social Security numbers can be assigned to foreigners who are authorized to work in the United States.

No. You do not need a Social Security number to open a bank account or for most other financial transactions. If you are an F visa holder, the bank may ask you to fill out Internal Revenue Service Form W-8BEN to prove that you are exempt from the requirement of providing a Social Security number. Similarly, as a F-1 visa holder, you will not be required to provide a SSN when you apply for driver's license.

The State of California Driver's License and the State of California Personal Identification Cards are issued by the DMV. In order to get a California driver's license, you must pass a written test, a road sign test, a vision test, and a driving test. The written tests and study guides for these tests are offered in multiple languages including Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, and others. Please check more information at http://www.dmv.ca.gov/.

To obtain F-2 documents for your spouse and/or minor children under 21 years, please provide the following documents to the NPU International Student Advisor:

  • A copy of the passport for your spouse and/or minor children under 21 years;
  • Financial support documents, such as a bank letter (minimum $8,000 per dependent) indicating your financial ability to support their living expenses when they come to the U.S.
  • Official proof of your family ties, such as a marriage/birth certificate.

Once you have submitted the necessary documents, we will issue I-20 forms for your spouse/children to obtain F-2 status. Then, your family member will need to apply for and obtain the appropriate visa to enter the U.S. (except Canadians) as your dependent.

Family members who are NOT children (under 21) or spouse of the F-1 student should apply for a B-1/B-2 visitor visa, which allows foreigners to visit the United States temporarily for tourism or business purposes. Family members from certain countries may be eligible to travel to the U.S. for visits of up to 90 days without a B-1/B-2 visa through the U.S. Department of State Visa Waiver Program. It is recommended that you give your family members a letter of invitation to document the purpose of their visit.

International students in F status must maintain full time enrollment. Undergraduate students must take at least 12 credits per trimester; Graduate students must take at least 9 credits per trimester;

The U.S. visa (stamp or sticker in your passport) is a travel document which allows entry to the United States with a valid I-20. You only need to have a valid F visa when you are re-entering the U.S.; you may remain in the U.S. with a valid I-20 and without a valid F1 visa. If you plan to travel and re-enter the U.S. from abroad after your visa has expired, you need to apply for a new visa before you re-enter. You can only apply for the visa outside the country at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

For re-entering the U.S., you must have the following documents valid and carried with you:

  • Passport: valid for at least six month from the date of your re-entry,
  • F1 visa: If it has expired, you will need to either get a new visa or renew it with a U.S. Embassy before reentering the U.S.,
  • I-20: There must be a certification signature from a Designated School Official (DSO) signed within 1 year prior to your reentry to the U.S.

If the visa annotates NPU as your school of choice, you may travel within 5 months of the visa’s issue date. You may also travel on the visa even if the SEVIS number is different. If travel is beyond 5 months of the visa’s issue date, you will need to renew your visa.