Welcome to Northwestern Polytechnic University Housing page! You are about to begin one of the most exciting and challenging experiences of your lifetime. If you are an international student or just moved to the area, you will be in a new environment with new people, decisions, and responsibilities. University Housing can help you through this transition as well as better enable you to take full advantage of all the resources the University has to offer. You have a wonderful opportunity to learn more about yourself, others, and the community around you while living in an NPU home.
Our staff is ready to assist you in making your experience at NPU a rewarding one! Most importantly, we are dedicated to making your life easier by offering the absolute highest level of housing services.
Please note that housing availability is on a "first come, first serve" basis.
How do I apply for housing?
Apply through your student portal to guarantee your spot in the NPU housing community.
Tel: (510) 592-9688 ext 10
Fax: (510) 789-1234
- Double room with one or more bathrooms
- Fully Furnished
- Study Areas
- Laundry Room
- Window Blinds
- Reading Desks, Chairs
- Dining Table, Chairs
- Private Balcony or Yard
- High-Speed Internet Connection
- Full Kitchen with Stove, Refrigerator, Garbage Disposal, Dishwasher and Microwave
Within walking distance of housing and NPU campus
- Food Supermarkets: Safeway, Lion Supermarket, 99 Ranch Market, and Marina Food
- Pharmacies and Convenience Stores: Walgreens, CVS Pharmacy, 7-11, Circle K
- Restaurants: KFC, Burger King, Taco Bell, McDonalds, Subway, Roundtable Pizza, Denny’s, Starbucks, and many others
- Banks: Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Citibank, Cathay Bank, HBC
- Department Stores: Walmart, Ross
- Postal Services: U.S. Post Office, FedEx, UPS
- Medical Services: Washington Clinic Medical Services
- Public Transportation: Buses ACT/SCVT, Trains; Altamont Communter Express, Bay Area Transit BART, Amtrak
- Ride Share: Uber, Lyft, and local Taxis
and much more!
NPU Apartment Fee Information (effective 2015 Spring Trimester)
- $2,600 per trimester
- Double unit
- Full-Size Appliances
- Wireless Internet
- Washer & Dryer
Housing units are limited and available on a "first-come, first-served", trimester-by-trimester basis. Late housing applicants will be placed on a waiting list.
NPU Housing will notify you by email, at the email address listed above, should NPU grant you university housing.
NPU shall not be responsible for any delays, failures in delivery, or consequences resulting from a delay or failure in delivery of email to the email address listed above.
In order to fully secure your housing space, you must pay both the security deposit ($500) and trimester housing fee in full by the end of Week 13 of the current trimester (please see the NPU Housing Calendar). For those that receive notification of a housing grant after the Week 13 deadline, the security deposit and trimester rent are due immediately. NPU may offer the spot to another student on the waitlist if you fail to pay the amounts listed above by the appropriate deadline.
In the event you fail to pay or otherwise cancel after NPU grants you a housing space, but prior to the Housing Opening Date, NPU shall charge you a cancellation fee of $100. This cancellation fee is separate from any amounts that NPU does not refund to you in accordance with the housing fee refund schedule. You are strongly advised to only apply for housing if you plan to accept the housing space, if granted to you.
Eligible students may renew their NPU housing agreement and reside in university housing for up to a maximum of three total trimesters of residency.
Important reminder: University Apartments have limited space and reservations are on a first-come first-served basis
Spring 2019 Deadlines
Housing Applications - October 15, 2018
Prepaid Rent & Deposit - December 17, 2018
Move in - January 3, 2019
Move out - April 23, 2019
Summer 2019 Deadlines
Housing Applications - February 11, 2019
Prepaid Rent & Deposit - April 15, 2019
Move in - May 1, 2019
Move out - August 23, 2019
Fall 2019 Deadlines
Housing Applications - June 17, 2019
Prepaid Rent & Deposit - August 15, 2019
Move in - August 26, 2019
Move out - December 20, 2019
To continue living in the University Apartments, you must apply and prepay the rent for a renewal of housing residency by the deadlines below
Housing Renewal Application - March 1, 2019 by 11:00am
Housing Renewal Application - June 24, 2019 by 11:00am
Housing Renewal Application - October 11, 2019 by 11:00am
In accordance with its mission statement, the NPU housing department has established the following rules and regulations in order to make dormitory life pleasant and safe for all students. These regulations have been established not for the purpose of limiting the freedom of the resident students, but instead to secure the freedom of the residents. Students residing in University housing are required to sign a housing agreement, contract, and a room condition form at the beginning of each trimester.
Students fully understand and agree to observe and obey the following guidelines:
Students are responsible for keeping their rooms clean and neat in all areas; they are to avoid causing any damages to their rooms and furnishings. All students sharing a dormitory should share the responsibilities of the common areas. When a student is assigned to a dormitory, it is understood that the assignment carries with it an obligation to protect University property. A student who violates the dormitory rules stated below or who intentionally or carelessly destroys dormitory property will be fined $50 or higher depending on the damages caused or will receive a warning notice; the resident will be asked to move out from the dorm after receiving two warning notices from the housing department.
The NPU housing department will be checking the dorms weekly in order to maintain good services and good condition of the dormitory. The University has the authority to take necessary steps to protect residents and properties.
Specific dormitory regulations include:
- No overnight guests are allowed in the dormitories. If a student would like to invite relatives or friends for overnight stay, he/she must submit a room reservation request for NPU Guesthouse to the housing staff. The housing staff will seek the room availability from the Guesthouse for the students’ relatives or friends.
- School furniture may not be removed from the dormitory, or moved around in the dormitory, or to outside the dormitory. Students need to inform the NPU Housing Office and get approval in advance for moving personal furniture into the dormitory. Other students who do not reside in the assigned dormitory may not borrow furniture or leave any personal furniture. Working Desks should not be moved from the common area, it would result in a penalty of $100.
- Additional beds are not allowed. Additional beds other than those provided by the University as normal furniture are not permitted in the dormitories. Students may not build loft-type beds or other structures.
- Beds cannot be disassembled. Bed frames, box springs and mattresses, mattress covers, and head and footboards should not be removed.
- Doors to rooms, bathrooms, and closets, and window screens should not be removed.
- Only removable plastic adhesive should be used to attach decorations to the walls. Students should see the housing staff for details on the permissible items used for wall decoration and other adhesive materials. Use of nails or tapes is not allowed.
- Students must not mark or mar walls, doors, or carpets. Decals or contact paper should not be attached to walls, doors, windows, ceilings, or room furnishings.
- Students should not tamper with electrical fixtures and built-in furniture or utilities.
- The Office of Operations may not install window air conditioners in student rooms without written permission. If permission is granted, a cost for installation is the student’s responsibility.
- Students are not allowed access to rooftops.
- Needed repairs should be reported to the NPU housing staff and should not be attempted by the students.
- Students may not display neon lights, commercial signs, or generally offensive material from their dormitory room windows.
- You MUST attend Housing orientation; otherwise you will lose the privilege of renewal for the following trimester term. No excuse will be accepted for not showing up and you MUST inform us with acceptable reason in advance.
Residency in the Classic Dormitory
- Students approved to move into the Classic dormitory may use the dormitory for a maximum one year, which will depend on the student resident’s performance.
- All residents have the responsibility to report and violation of rules, regulations, and policies to the NPU housing staff at once.
- There will be equal penalty for any resident knowing the truth or fact of violations but without reporting them to the housing department.
- Weekly onsite inspections are conducted by the NPU staff.
- The NPU housing staff will assist these students to look for outside housing so that they can move out at the end of the term.
- Along with other types of vandalism, intentional breaking of glass (bottles, windows, etc.) is prohibited and will result in fines and or loss of dormintroy priviledges
- The residents in each dorm share the utility costs of the dorm.
- Each person pays $30 per month for a minimum charge of water, utility, sewage, garbage, and wireless bills.
- There will be more if utility fees exceed the minimum amount.
Installation for Personal Convenience
- Installations added for personal convenience, such as telephone, cable TV and other electronic devices are the responsibility of the student and must be first approved by the housing department. Costs of such installations are the responsibility of student.
Internet Networking Usage
- The primary purpose of dormitory computer networking internet device is to support student academic activity or research and study on course subject related information and no guarantee on speed at usage of Internet Music, TV Program, Movie, Video Clip, Streaming, Instant Messenger, Online Chatting, Skype, Webcams or Gaming Platforms (X-Box, Playstation 2) etc.
- Residents are not permitted to tamper dorm's networking equipment and device including firewall, router, wireless access point, and Hub, Ethernet cable. In addition, DSL account of dorm belongs to NPU and student is not allowed to make change/cancel on program/term/account information.
- Any student preferring to install his own internet connection must get approval from the NPU housing department. Students failing to obtain proper approval will be responsible for costs associated with restoring the original internet connection
- Excessive or improper use of bandwidth or internet networking software that disrupts, inhibits or interferes with other users is not permitted.
- Rents are prepaid per trimester and by a set deadline before each trimester starts.
- A deposit is prepaid per trimester and by a set deadline before each trimester starts.
- Students using the school housing units are required to pay a security deposit in the amount of $500 for staying in the Classic units.
Renewing Housing for the Classic Unit
- Only qualified residents can renew housing for the NPU dormitory.
- Applying for renewal of housing residency for the next trimester is in week 5 of the current trimester.
- The student must submit the renewal housing application form for the new trimester.
- The deadline to pay the renewal rent is by 11:00 am on Monday of week 6 of the current trimester.
Withdraw and Refund
- The security deposit is fully refundable for cancellations prior to the Housing Opening Date.
- If the student moves in to university housing, the security deposit is refundable, but may be subject to certain deductions as authorized by law (e.g., cleaning, repair of damages, restoration/replacement of furniture, furnishings, or other items).
Below is the housing fee refund schedule.
- Cancellation at least 45 days prior to Housing Opening Date: The housing fee, less $150.
- Cancellation between 15 and 45 days prior to the Housing Opening Date: The housing fee, less $900.
- Cancellation 15 days or less prior to the Housing Opening Date: The housing fee, less $1400.
- Cancellation on or after the Housing Opening Date: No refund.
Please note that there is a cancellation fee of $100 if you cancel after NPU grants you a housing space, but prior to the Housing Opening Date. This fee is separate from any housing fee amounts that NPU does not refund to you as described above.
Additionally, please note that if you fail to complete the course registration process by 5 P.M. on Saturday of the first week of the trimester, housing, unless you are an international student on official trimester break, you are not permitted to occupy a space in university. In such circumstance, you must vacate university housing immediately. NPU will not refund the housing fee. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in the foregoing, NPU may at its discretion decide whether or not a student is permitted to reserve or occupy a space in university housing.
- Students staying in the Classic Dormitory may use the dorm only for the first trimester at NPU and must move out at the end of the trimester.
- Only qualified residents can renew the NPU dormitory for a maximum one year residency.
Early moving out
- There is no refundable rent and deposit if the student moves out earlier during the trimester.
- The student may move out early. But he/she has to inform the housing staff 2 weeks in advance; however, the rent and the deposit will be collected by NPU.
- The dorm fee is for the entire trimester; the student has the right to live in the dorm from the dorm opening day to the dorm closing day.
- NPU’s obligation is to assure the dorm space for students for the entire trimester.
- Students who transfer to another school cannot get the rent and deposit back.
- Upon moving out of the dorm, the students must clean up the dorm and leave their rooms in a clean and orderly manner.
- The rooms must be inspected by the NPU housing staff and the checkout form must be completed before the student departs.
- All items belonging to the dormitory at the time of the student’s moving into the dorm must still be accountable and in their original shape other than for regular wear and tear.
- If the student fails to do so, a $25 fine or more will be charged depending on the condition.
- The University and NPU housing department reserve the right to keep the dorm premises/property safe, secure, and tidy.
- Students need to return the keys on the date that the housing officer informs the student to move out.
- Returning keys late will result in a $10/day fine to the student.
- The residents of each dorm share the expenses of professional cleaning at the end of every month; the cleaning may also occur in the middle of the month and the costs are also shared by the residents.
Asked to Move Out
- Student who breaks the rules, regulations, and policies will be asked to move out of the dorm and will not get any refund (including rent and deposit) from NPU.
Rights Held by the University
The University reserves the right:
- Of entry by authorized personnel for inspection, repair, emergency, or for any other appropriate reasons, such as after receiving report of suspected violations of University conduct or regulations. No early notification is needed.
- To levy and collect charges for damage to or unauthorized use of the dorm, or alterations to room or other items in the dorm.
- To remove unauthorized or improperly used equipment.
- To reassign, evict, or levy fines against students who violate the rules, regulations, and policies.
Students are expected to observe the following fire code regulations. Violators of these regulations are subject to disciplinary action, payment of any damages, and a minimum fine of $200:
- For the protection of residents, dormitories are equipped with smoke and fire detection and prevention devices. Tampering with the smoke detector and alarm system or with fire extinguishers is a violation of rules as well as a violation of the City fire code.
- Hallways must be kept clear at all times. Furniture and personal belongings such as bicycles, trunks, boxes, and drying racks may not be placed in the hallways.
- Ceiling hangings of any description are not permissible as they interfere with the proper function of the fire/smoke detection and prevention devices.
- Fireworks and firecrackers are not permitted in or around the dormitories.
- No lighting or heating device which produces an open flame is allowed in the dormitory. This includes candles and kerosene lamps. No hot plates, toaster ovens, or auxiliary heaters are to be used; hot irons and coffee pots should not be placed on the carpet or other flammable materials.
- Cardboard boxes and boxes of like materials may not be stored in places in the dormitories where gas water heaters are present.
- Bicycles are not allowed in dormitory common areas, halls, stairwells, or where they obstruct exits. They should be stored only in designated bike storage areas.
- Personal refrigerators are not allowed to be installed in student rooms.
Students of the opposite sex are not assigned and may not arrange to live together in any dorm.
- If all residents of a dormitory agree, a common area in the dorm may be made available for a twenty-four-hour use with the following stipulations: Should these stipulations not be followed, the twenty-four-hour access policy may be revoked and those who violate the policy may be subject to disciplinary action.
- Common areas in the dormitories are provided to the residents as spaces in which they may congregate outside their personal rooms. They are places of gathering, used for dorm meetings, movie and television viewing, group studying, and as a place for relaxation. Residents must be respectful of the rights of other students who share these spaces, and must be mindful of the noise generated. Quiet hour policies apply at all times (9:00PM to 8:00AM).
- Common spaces must NOT be used for organized or spontaneous social activity, which restricts any resident’s use of the common areas, or for an activity that results in the violation of University policies.
- Access must be limited to residents and their guests; a resident must always accompany guests. No overnight guest is allowed in the dormitory. Please ask for assistance from the housing staff for reserving the Guest Rooms for your relatives or friends.
- In order to secure the right of students to read and to study free from unreasonable noise and other distractions, the University has asked the students in each dorm to respect "quiet hours," which are designated evening hours during which the residents are expected to observe quiet behavior.
- Daily quiet hours are from 9:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m.
- During Midterm Examination and Final Examination weeks, students will be requested to respect other students at all times.
- Students living in dormitories may not own pets, may not feed or keep pets in the dormitories, or keep pets anywhere on the domain.
- A minimum of $25 fine will be imposed for each violation of this policy.
- Smoking is not allowed in the dormitories, premises and also within the property (including the garage or the front and back yard or deck/patio).
- If the housing staff members find any evidence such as cigarette butts within the dorm, premises, and property, the student will be asked to move out immediately and $100 penalty will be charged.
- In addition, there will be no refund of rent or security deposit for violating the housing rules, regulations, and policies.
No Alcohol Use
- Alcoholic beverages are not allowed in dormitory.
- Opened containers of alcoholic beverages (including cups) are forbidden within the dorm, premises, and property.
- If the housing staff members find any alcoholic bottles, containers, or cans within the above areas, the student will be asked to move out immediately and a $100 penalty will be charged.
- In addition, there will be no refund of rents or security deposit for violating the housing rules, regulations, and policies.
- The University and the Housing Department does not permit dormitory room parties.
- Once housing staff members receive the compliant from the neighbors or property manager, the student will be asked to move out immediately and a $100 penalty will be charged.
- In addition, there will be no refund of rent or security deposit for violating the housing rules, regulations, and policies.
- The dorm spaces are allocated by NPU Housing Staff and NPU owns the ownership to all the dorm spaces. Students are not allowed to sublease the room to any other persons to get any profit. As long as the housing staff members discover the sublease is true and has been verified, the student’s space will be annulled and asked to move out immediately. The student who does the sublease will lose the rent and deposit; also, the student will pay a fine, 50% of the rent/trimester, to NPU.
- Roommates, the other students who live in the same dorm, also have the obligation to inform NPU housing staff about the sublease condition that happened. If roommates acquiesce this situation and do not inform the housing staff will be viewed as accomplices and will lose the deposit and need to pay $300 penalty to NPU.
- There is a $10 key service fee each time a student needs an assistance to open the door.
- Any lost key must be reported immediately so that the locks can be re-corded and residents of the unit can be issued a new key.
- The charge of re-cording locks (includes main entrance door and room door) and new key copies depend on the actual receipt provided by locksmith after the work is done.
- University insurance does not cover personal losses.
- Students should take precautions to protect personal belongings from theft, fire, water damage, or other loss.
- Students are encouraged to purchase their own rental insurance.
Trimester Break Time
- NPU reserves the right to make changes to dorm settings or reassign dorm spaces during the break time. (Break time: between two trimesters, from dorm closing day to the next dorm opening day.)
Please check the NPU Housing Calendar for break times and move-in and move-out dates.
CraigsList - A very comprehensive listing of apartments and houses for rent. Rooms are available and listed as well.
Rent.com - Apartment rentals; search by city.
Apartments.com - Apartment rentals: search by number of rooms, city.
Zillow.com - Houses for rent, mobile homes, sales, apartments - large search criteria.
Please note: Because off-campus housing offers are by individuals and companies not affiliated with NPU, the University assumes no responsibility for housing arrangements made through these services. If you need assistance with off-campus housing, please discuss with an NPU housing officer for advice on how lease agreements and housing contracts work in the U.S.