Introduction to Northwestern Polytechnic University
Located in the city of Fremont, right in the heart of Silicon Valley, Northwestern Polytechnic University (NPU) has been serving a culturally and economically diverse student body of both local and international students for over 30 years. NPU is dedicated to providing advanced educational opportunities and promoting professional career development in the fields of business, engineering and technology.
Intensive English Program
The IEP at NPU is open to non-native speakers of English who want to improve their English language skills. This program is designed for working professionals as well as for students preparing for university study or professional programs. Classes meet on the NPU campus. The course of study is based on a communicative, student-centered approach with listening and speaking, reading, writing, and grammar courses. Courses focus on fluency and accuracy in both spoken and written English. Classes are small, and they will never have more than 15 students. The small class size allows each participant a maximum amount of individual attention and an opportunity to develop conversational skills in an intimate setting.
Intensive English Program Objectives
• Students will develop fluency and accuracy in both spoken and written English.
• Students will demonstrate comprehension of a variety of nonfiction and literary texts of increasing complexity, evaluate texts using critical reading skills, and identify useful and reliable sources when doing research.
• Students will write sentences, paragraphs, and essays using connecting expressions and supporting details and examples; follow standard paragraph and essay format with topic sentences, thesis statements, citations, and other conventions; and synthesize information from various sources.
• Students will show that they understand spoken interpersonal communications, broadcast media, and academic lectures, and develop the ability to take notes while listening.
• Students will orally communicate concrete and abstract ideas in formal as well as informal settings using increasingly native-like pronunciation, stress patterns, rhythm, and intonation.
• Students will accurately use grammatical structures of greater complexity as well as employ vocabulary of increasing variety and precision.
Why Choose the Intensive English Program at NPU?
The IEP at NPU offers several benefits:
- A focus on both General and Academic English in an accelerated format;
- A pathway to the high level of English proficiency and study skills required for academic success;
- An ideal location in the heart of Silicon Valley.